That Time When Biggles Left Algy In The Lurch For An Hour...

I've just been reading through Biggles Flies Again again to get some Algy quotes out of it--for the Quote Box thingy to the top left side of the blog--and halfway through the book I came across what I would have to say is one of the saddest sentences in Algy history:
"Although Algy knew that Biggles would not have left him unless he had a definite plan in his mind, he watched the machine disappear into the blue distance with consternation."
To give some context to the above quote, shortly before these events occurred an octopus got hold of the Vandal, the way most octopi or scary sea creatures always manage to get hold of Biggles and Co., and one of the passengers in the Vandal was thrown out during the struggle to get rid of the octopus, upon which Algy tries to rescue said passenger, resulting in Algy's getting thrown out of the Vandal as well.

So there are two of them in the water with a crazy octopus, and Biggles decides to take off and leave them there *horrified smiley*.

In fairness, the octopus made it impossible for Biggles to land and pick them up, but I can still imagine the look on Algy's face when he saw the Vandal fading into the distance *sobbing smiley*.

I should also add, it took over an hour for Biggles to get back and rescue them.

This of course immediately brings to mind the moment in Biggles Takes Charge, where Biggles confidently informs Boris and the others that Algy will not go home without them, because "we don't leave each other in the lurch, whatever happens." And Algy, being Algy, obviously came right back and rescued everyone, just like Biggles said he would.

6 comments

  1. I like your quote widget.
    I am sure that Biggles broke all the speed limits rescuing Algy and it would have taken any one else much more than an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's probably true, but the thought of Algy being left alone with a crazy octopus for an hour makes me quite sad.

    If the shoe had been on the other foot, I'm sure that Algy would have done something trademarkedly crazy and got rid of the octopus then and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah there you have it, Soppy. 'Trademarkedly Crazy' Algy, on the one hand and 'Cautious' Biggles' on the other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your quote widget too. Every time I look, another one :)

    I expect Biggles was worrying about Algy left alone with a crazy octopus. In Deep Blue Sea Biggles worries about Algy worrying about him (Biggles) being late, which is trivial in comparison… But maybe by then Biggles was a chronic worrier...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Algy - I didn't realise he was left for a whole hour!
    I bet he needed more than a lemonade when he got back!
    Algy's emotional state wasn't at its strongest in that adventure. He screams at the sight of the octopus, turns ashen-faced,comes close to panic and realises if Biggles doesn't rescue him before night it will be too late as he, Algy will be nothing more than a 'gibbering lunatic' by dawn!
    I put it all down to too much sun myself - poor boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the quote widget, but adding quotes to it is looking like a long process. Luckily I'm only adding Algy related quotes so won't have to read all the books I've got.

    Biggles' chronic worrying might have been paranoia brought on from not having enough cigarettes. I seem to remember in Deep Blue Sea he was out at some point.

    To be fair, I doubt that most people, confronted with an octopus, would have acted much differently from Algy. Ginger, for example, would have most likely screamed until he was blue in the face.

    ReplyDelete

While you are free to post comments anonymously, you are encouraged to use the Name/URL option to post so that your comment will not be filtered out as spam.

© The Algy Chronicles
Maira Gall