Book Collector's Corner: Musings Of A Book Dealer

Image from wisegeek.org
It's hard to be a Biggles fan without also being something of a book collector. With 90+ titles in the series--many of them out of print, at that--owning more than a handful of Biggles books usually involves going to a lot of secondhand bookstores (and checking the bargain bins, which, as we all know, is one of my favorite pastimes), checking eBay frequently for new listings, and, um, "borrowing" books from local libraries...

But what about the other side of the coin--the book dealer? You know, the people who post listings on eBay, run secondhand bookstores, go to auctions, and mumble things about "first editions"? 

I have my friend Archie to thank for the following piece about collectible children's books. I don't know that much about the subject myself, but Archie, who is a professional book dealer specializing in  collectible children's books (and also an avid Biggles fan), of course knows all about it!

Collecting children's books, be it 20th century juvenile fiction, 19th century moveables or even earlier chapbooks and the like, is not such an uncommon hobby as it may at first appear. Which is really just as well. Life as a dealer of collectible children's books would be somewhat difficult if such people didn't exist. Some people seem to doubt they do; I have been asked more than once who my customers are.

Well, to start with, they tend not to be children. I make the odd exception; I started life as a book collector when still at school, and I daresay there must be others who have done the same. But generally speaking, my day-to-day customers tend to be activated by a feeling of nostalgia. I deal mainly in 20th century children's books; and a lot of those books are bought by people who fondly remember them from their own childhood. W.E. Johns (naturally) is one of the more obvious targets; but there are others, such as Enid Blyton, Anthony Buckeridge (the 'Jennings' books), Richmal Crompton (Just William) and Malcolm Saville (perhaps best known for the Lone Pine series), to name but a few. There are the earlier, enduring classics as well; I know one chap who is attempting to collect all the various illustrated editions of 'Alice in Wonderland' (more than you think, believe me). But a comment heard at least weekly is,

"Oh, I remember that from when I was a child..."

Followed, if one is lucky, by,

"I must read that again/buy it for my grandchildren/have it for the pictures..."

In some cases this is perfectly understandable, due to the quality of the author or illustrator's output; in others somewhat less so. I mention no names. It is, anyway, a question of taste.

People who are essentially just looking for a good read, though, are by no means the only ones who show an interest in children's books. There are more serious book collectors out there. The Opies spring immediately to mind for anyone really into the subject; but today it is perhaps Brian Alderson who is at the forefront of things. He is a noted collector, but he has also put a great deal of academic work into the subject. Currently he is giving a series of lectures at Newcastle University's Robinson Library (which has rather an impressive array of 19th century children's titles itself).

It is, after all, possible to do a research degree in children's literature at a number of universities in the UK and the USA (and probably elsewhere, if, unlike me, you can read any language other than English). The UK has a National Centre for Children's Books, Seven Stories. They have some rather important stuff in their collection. They also make sure they produce exhibitions which will appeal to the general public as well as the academic world--making sure interest in the subject will be continued well into the future. These people are not to be sneezed at. I, for one, am extremely grateful for their existence, although I know I am very unlikely to attain such dizzying heights in the world of children's books. That would take concentration--and it is all I can do not to read my stock as I put it on the shelves...

11 comments

  1. Lewis Carroll collectors are amazing. I got a book for one chap, who pounced on it with glee because he already had a copy looking exactly the same but with a different publication date! Now he could hold his head up when talking with another bloke who collects every edition, including each different coloured binding, of the same one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collecting every Alice seems a bit excessive to me, though. I suppose this is because I'm still in the stage of, "As long as I can read it, it's fine". Although I have no doubt that someday I will be buying Biggles books for the covers or the DJs or something! It's got to happen someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does, Sopwith, it does! Although I haven't got to the stage of those blokes, and hopefully never will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll be happy to stop at "I've got all the Biggles books. Read all of them." I don't see myself wanting every edition, every DJ, and every reprint. That's just too much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have room to collect more than one copy BUT... I have already fallen into the trap. Starting with a desire to have all the interesting editions of my favourite Biggles book, then thinking it might be nice to collect all the Childrens' Book Club editions - but that is foolish - I don't have room...

    Collecting is very addictive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 'Alice' collectors are lucky - they don't have to find a perfect copy of 98 books! I am still looking for an old copy of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass that I can afford!

    And more collectables (expensive too) that I came across through an addicted friend are the Dr Dolittle books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to get some Doolittle books as well. I've only got three. Are the majority of them out of print? :(

    I do like the stories, and the pictures done by the author are very nice too. I like Stubbins a lot, but I think he's only in one or two books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Doctor Doolittle books. I came across a stack of hardbacks in a Hampstead shop. They had all belonged to a little girl, who probably had got rid of them when she grew up. She will regret it! But Tommy Stubbins is the storyteller, isn't he? He was in them all.

    I think it is only Lewis Carroll collectors who go in for so many different editions. Most of them have more money than us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you know Hugh Lofting was in the trenches in WW1 when he started writing the stories in letters home for his little boy?
    He had some lovely ideas. I remember the birds delivering mail: if it was a bill they just left it, but if it was a letter they rang the bell! And the canary that sang in the Albert Hall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How delightful. I must see if I can get some to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I do remember reading somewhere that the books started out as letters home from the front. It's strange how many good books start out in such horrible conditions--wasn't Lord of the Rings war related writing as well?

    The Doolittle books really are worth a read. The girl who sold them all WILL regret selling them someday.

    I don't think Tommy was in all of the stories. He wasn't in the one with the canary, or the circus one, or the very first one where the Doctor still lived with his sister. I know he's in the one where they go to Spider Monkey Island, and the moon one, and the return from the moon one. Those are all I have. Don't know about the rest.

    ReplyDelete

While you are free to post comments anonymously, you are encouraged to use the Name/URL option to post so that your comment will not be filtered out as spam.

© The Algy Chronicles
Maira Gall