Biggles Media Archive: Sopwith Camel And Spitfire Video

Fantastic video of a Sopwith Camel and a Spitfire flying together. It's such a Biggles moment. Wonder if he was there--in the crowds...or in the pilot's seat!

It's weird for me seeing the almost awkwardness of a Camel compared side-by-side with a Spitfire. When the Camel chap was taking off I kept thinking, "Ooh. It looks like he's not going to make it."  (Which is probably what Biggles was thinking every time he saw Algy stunting in one...)


Thanks to Shirley for sending me this!

5 comments

  1. This is just The Most Wonderful video clip!!!! The best fighter of WWI flying with the best fighter of WWII. The Camel seems to stutter in the most curious way, but was that perhaps because the pilot had to manually adjust the fuel mixture? To say nothing of having to counteract the torque of its rotary engine.

    The Spitfire is SO smooth as it taks off, and I love the way its wheels fold up sideways. The Camel landed very stylishly though.

    Thank you Shirley and thank you SC. One to watch more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites. Thanks for posting, Sopwith. I'm sure Biggles and Algy were there enjoying it all.

    Wanaka Warbirds Airshow is high on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree; it's totally fantastic. I've never seen a Sopwith Camel "up close" before, so to speak. Although I think it's not an original Camel, it was one they built afterwards or something. But still--! Superb video :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff. Never seen them together, of course so it really brings home the differences in WWI and WWII. Thanks for sharing this lovely moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to SJ for sharing!!

    I've bookmarked it to show some non aviation friends. Hopefully they'll be as awed as I was.

    ReplyDelete

While you are free to post comments anonymously, you are encouraged to use the Name/URL option to post so that your comment will not be filtered out as spam.

© The Algy Chronicles
Maira Gall