Biggles Married II Chapter 10.

By Sopwith

Disclaimer: I do not own, or claim to own, any of the Biggles series characters used in this work. This fan fiction was written for entertainment purposes only and should not be considered part of the official storyline.

Warning: Non canon type fan fiction works may contain severe time mix-ups and character deviations


Not for nothing had Algy fought in two world wars and many smaller ones. His lightning reflexes took over and before the butt of the gun could connect with his head, he had twisted aside and kicked Lyle’s legs out from under him.

Lyle tumbled to the ground with Algy on top of him. The gun went flying through the air, landing a few feet away. Lyle struggled, fighting to get to the weapon. Algy elbowed him in the face. He saw no reason to treat the man gently. Lyle cursed, punching Algy in the stomach. Algy grunted, momentarily stunned by the pain. Lyle crawled forward, reaching for the gun, but Algy kicked him, hard, and Lyle fell back, groaning, as Algy crawled over him and grabbed the gun.

“Oh, no, you don’t!” snapped Algy, as Lyle attempted to snatch the weapon from him. “Stay back. I don’t want to shoot you, Lyle, but I will if I have to.”

“You’re faster than you look, Mr. Lacey,” said Lyle, speaking with a slight lisp, through a bleeding lip. “Congratulations.”

Algy pointed the gun straight at Lyle’s head. “How were you planning to blow up this island?”

Lyle said nothing.

“Come on. I’m not a patient man by nature, and I’m certainly not in the mood to be patient now, after what you just did to me. I’m going to count to three, and if you haven’t told me what I want to know by then, you won’t be doing any more talking, ever, do you understand?”

“Bomb in the basement of the laboratory,” blurted Lyle, before Algy even had time to count to three. “It’s set to go off in two hours.”

“That wasn’t so hard, was it?” said Algy, wiping blood off his face with the back of one hand. “How do I defuse it?”

“You can’t.”

“I beg your pardon?” said Algy, in a very dangerous tone of voice.

“I meant, you need someone with expertise to do it,” said Lyle, speaking very quickly. “Someone who knows their way around a bomb.”

“I assume that you know someone on this island who has the necessary expertise?”

“Bartlett.”

“Good,” said Algy.

“And now you’re going to let me go?” asked Lyle, the relief evident in his voice.

“Of course not,” said Algy. “You’re coming with me. If I can’t defuse this bomb in time, you’re going up with all of us.”

“But…”

“Come along now. Let’s get this bomb defused. It’s your life on the line along with all of ours. If that isn’t incentive, I don’t know what is.”

&&&

“It’s done,” said Bartlett.

“Are you sure?” asked Algy, giving Lyle a very cold look.

Lyle, who had been tied to a nearby chair, said nothing.

“Yes. I’ve removed the wires connecting the bomb, and taken out the section containing the explosives. It won’t be blowing anything up.”

“Good,” said Algy. “Sir-” to the general, who sat silently at the other end of the table where Bartlett had placed the defused bomb. “I believe my work here is done. I suggest you take Lyle into custody and keep him somewhere safe until the proper authorities can take him where he belongs.”

“Thank you,” said the general quietly. “You don’t know what a weight has been lifted from my mind. So it was you all along, Lyle. I should have known there was something suspicious going on—”

“You could never see anything that wasn’t right at the end of your nose,” sneered Lyle.

The general’s face hardened, but he said nothing further to his former secretary. “And where will you go now?” he inquired of Algy.

“I’m planning to take my plane and fly home to get some much needed rest, sir,” said Algy.

The general smiled. “In that case, I won’t keep you. And again, thank you for your help.”

“It was a pleasure, sir.”

&&&

Algy was whistling as he ran up the stairs to the Mount Street flat.

He had had a long flight and was looking forward to a long hot bath and, after that, a square meal and a nice warm bed.

There was no one about as he unlocked the door and strolled into the dining room, but, as it was almost midnight, he was not too surprised at this.

“I suppose it’s too late to wake Mrs. Symes,” he concluded regretfully, checking his watch. “Oh, well. Let’s see what I can do. Better put the kettle on first.”

He was just adding milk to his tea when he heard footsteps behind him. Turning, he saw Biggles behind him. “Hello,” he greeted cheerfully. “Sorry. Did I wake you?”

“What are you doing here?” asked Biggles.

Algy grinned. “I live here, remember?”

“No,” said Biggles. “You don’t. Not anymore. Remember?”

Algy’s grin vanished. “What?”

“Didn’t the others tell you?” Biggles asked, falteringly.

Algy frowned. “Tell me what? I’ve been…away…for the past few days. I haven’t seen the others since I’ve been back. What’s going on? And are you all right? You look as if you just swallowed something the wrong way.”

“Algy,” said Biggles, very gently. “You don’t live here anymore. Nor do Bertie and Ginger. They’ve already moved out.”

What?”

“I thought they told you. I told them to tell you.”

“Is this some sort of a practical joke?”

“Algy.” Biggles spoke slowly, as if speaking to a small child. “Jane and I are going to be living here. We’re married. We need a place of our own.”

“But…” Algy looked as though someone had just hit him with something very hard. “Where am I supposed to go?”

“Well, you can stay here tonight, of course, and tomorrow you can call Bertie and Ginger and see where they’re staying, and perhaps you can stay with them for a bit. You can keep your things here for a few days until you find a place to—”

Algy staggered back as if he had been shot and gave Biggles a look not unlike that of a faithful dog who knows its master is about to have it put down. He did not speak. Abandoning the tea, he grabbed his jacket from the back of the chair where he had carelessly discarded it on his entrance into the flat.

“Where are you going?”

“Out. That’s what you wanted, isn’t it?”

“Algy, don’t be stupid—”

“Oh, so I’m stupid now, am I?”

“Algy, this doesn’t mean anything. We can still see each other—”

“No,” said Algy, without a backward glance. “We can’t.”

And on that parting shot, he slammed the front door shut behind him and walked out alone into the cold dark night.

THE END

24 comments

  1. You were right, I HATE it. Poor old Algy, but I'm glad he upset Biggles.
    As for suggestions for Biggles married III. GET RID OF JANE! Biggles was under cover to expose her as a double agent for Russia and couldn't tell ANYONE! (not even his best friends in case they gave him away).
    I'm sure you'll have other suggestions, Soppy, from other people too, but basically at the end we want all four of them nice and cosy again in Mount Street


    ReplyDelete
  2. What Fairblue said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm too shocked to comment.

    James Bigglesworth - HOW COULD YOU?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words are inadequate to express my distress at what you've done to Algy and Biggles. They are best friends. they have spent nearly all their lives together. You CANNOT do this to them (nor to Ginger and Bertie).

    Maybe it is all just a nightmare. But whose nightmare would it be? Marie's? Ginger's? Biggles's?

    You had jolly well better think up a happy solution to all this for Biggles Married III - or else...

    You think we no longer practise medieval torture????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Biggles appears to be living a nightmare at the moment. I almost felt sorry for him until he did what he did to Algy. As for medieval torture, i'll help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is wrong with Jane anyway, making Biggles turf his friends out in this way?
    What right thinking person could possibly object to having an Algy or a Bertie (or even a Ginger for that matter - drinks cabinet incidents aside) about the house. Their presence could only cheer-up any living space....
    The woman is very clearly deranged amongst all her many other faults...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it would be kind of weird to live in a house, with your husband, and his three friends, wouldn't it? What else was Biggles expected to do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I expected a bit more outrage from everyone, to be honest... :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. For a start, giving them a lot more notice would have been normal. Biggles was always supposed to see the other person's side and as for expecting Bertie and Ginger to do his dirty work, well, it can't be Biggles can it? As for outrage, my mummy brought me up to be nice and polite so...please get rid of Jane. I don't like her and I don't think I'm the only one. She has a hidden agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to take a few days to figure out what to do in Biggles Married III. I think I can see where everyone wants this story to go (not that the story will necessarily follow that...as I've mentioned, this is one of those things that are writing itself and I have very little, if any, control over what happens).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ouch!!! I've only just been in a position to read the final chapter....and I'm not a happy camper, Soppy!! Biggles would never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever.....etc.....treat Algy like that!!!!!!! This is all the fault of that abominable Jane. Why do women seem to have this effect on him? Look at the evil Marie!! You'd better be going to restore the status quo in Married III or I'm going to be flying right over your place in my Spitfire..... you have been warned.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can stay with me RSG while you're sorting Soppy out. I'm sure you can put your Spitfire on the local sports field.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe Algy should get married and get his own back...? I wonder if Jane has a sister? That way Algy and Biggles could be related through marriage! That sounds fun, doesn't it?

    And should I point out, it's going to be very hard to fix ANYTHING if you shoot me down in your Spitfire?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Message for Sopwith:

    HANDS OFF ALGY!!!!!!!!
    NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT! NO WAY ARE YOU ALLOWED TO MARRY ALGY OFF TO JANE'S SISTER OR TO ANYONE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER.
    It is bad enough what you have done to Biggles without dropping Algy into the same horrible mess too - LEAVE HIM ALONE!
    "Ahem"
    Besides Algy could never be so stupid as to marry someone like Jane - he has MUCH more sense when it comes to women than Biggles has....

    ReplyDelete
  15. ^^^^^ My thoughts exactly!!!
    Ladies man as he may be, Algy is WAAYYY to smart to do something as stupid as that!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was rather hoping Algy would marry ME, actually....

    As for whether or not Algy is stupid enough to marry someone like Jane, you have to remember that he's in severe shock at the moment, so anything stupid he does is forgivable and understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. He's more likely to blow something up - Algy like to blow things up when he's upset. What about Biggles Bentley?
    It would certainly annoy Biggles and might cheer Algy up just a teeny bit....

    ReplyDelete
  18. JJ, that's a super idea! unless Jane has already got Biggles to trade it in for a trendy convertible!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Blow up the Bentley? Brilliant!

    (With Biggles in it...)

    *scribbles furiously*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Er - not sure JJ meant that, exactly. Soppy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Didn't you mean "(With Jane in it...)" ?

    Although really to make things right between Algy and Biggles, Biggles would have to blow up his Bentley (with Jane in it).

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know, if Algy blew up the car with Jane in it, that would be the final nail in the coffin of their relationship:

    "You turned me out!"
    "You blew up my wife!"

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gosh, I think I read this about 5 years ago but it's even more heartbreaking the second time round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, poor Algy. I feel sooo sorry for him sometimes. Not enough to stop hurting him, but I do care.

      Delete

While you are free to post comments anonymously, you are encouraged to use the Name/URL option to post so that your comment will not be filtered out as spam.

© The Algy Chronicles
Maira Gall